Dayton Water Systems is a leading provider of solutions and equipment that meet all your water treatment needs. Our experts provide end-to-end solutions, including full engineering, design, manufacturing, installation, and ongoing service and maintenance for water treatment systems. We work with customers of any size and can handle jobs of any size or complexity.
Ozone generators provide effective water treatment by oxidizing and eliminating harmful pathogens and microorganisms within a water source. This page discusses the functionality, applications, and advantages of ozone generators from Dayton Water Systems.
What is an Ozone Generator?
Simply put, ozone generators generate ozone gas. Ozone gas is in the oxygen family. Whereas oxygen has only two oxygen atoms (O2), ozone has three oxygen atoms (O3). Ozone forms when loose oxygen atoms known as free radicals attach to regular oxygen molecules. This occurs naturally when oxygen-rich air is exposed to ultraviolet (UV) light or electricity such as a lightning strike, but this phenomenon can be synthesized in ozone generators to create gas for water treatment.
In low concentrations, pure ozone is highly effective for water purification due to its ability to eliminate parasites, fungi, bacteria, and viruses that cause food degradation or human illness. Ozone at a 2ppm concentration would be effective to oxidize most organics. Ozone is an entrained gas that is not fully dissolved and oxidizes contaminants and critical organic components of waterborne microorganisms by contact time.
Water Treatment Applications for Ozone Generators
Ozone generators have numerous applications for water treatment. The most popular include:
- Color removal. The presence of various contaminants or metals can alter the color or clarity of a water source. Ozone treatment systems are the most popular method for restoring water clarity.
- Ozone is a common method for water and wastewater treatment for its ability to deactivate harmful pathogens.
- Ozone generators are often used in combination with UV water purification systems and other chemical and biological processes to treat highly complex industrial waste.
Benefits of Ozone Generators
Ozone generators offer numerous advantages for water treatment, such as:
- The strong oxidation capabilities of ozone will instantly deactivate and neutralize parasites, viruses, bacteria, and other harmful microorganisms. Ozone gas actually features stronger disinfectant properties than chemicals such as chlorine, while oxidative capabilities provide a means to remove metals from the water. Ozone works with virtually any water pH, making it useful for treating highly acidic water sources.
- Chemical-free. Ozone treatment eliminates the need for harsh chemicals in many water treatment processes. Ozone gas leaves no pollutants behind in the treated water, making it safe for drains and sewage systems.
- Well-tested. Ozone water treatment has been in use in municipal water treatment facilities since the turn of the 20th century. This method of treatment is used in more than 2,000 water treatment plants around the world.
- Ozone water treatment methods kill or eliminate harmful contaminants in mere seconds, so the process doesn’t require extended holding periods in tanks.
Ozone Generators From Dayton Water Systems
Dayton Water Systems provides a variety of solutions that will work effectively out of the box. We can also design, engineer, manufacture, install, and maintain a fully customized system for unique customer needs. To see how our ozone generators can benefit your water treatment application, please contact us today.